Free ESL Writing, Grammar & Vocabulary Practice
Writing Tips & Suggestions
- Try to practice everyday - the more you write, the easier it will get
- Practice writing online, many web sites have blogs or discussion forums to participate in
- Keep a journal and write about your ideas, goals and activities everyday
- Write at your level - if you are a beginner, don't try to write university essays yet
- Learn the correct writing style for your project - don't assume your culture has the same style or organization
- Read a lot - reading can also help you learn sentence structures, vocabulary and grammar
- Find a tutor - everyone has different needs, so your tutor can help you improve at your own speed
Free Online Writing, Grammar & Vocabulary Practice
1. English Page - Phrasal Verb Dictionary
- This is an interesting web site to learn and practice using phrasal verbs.
- Choose a letter on the left side.
- Study phrasal verbs with example sentences.
2. BBC Learning English
- This is a great part of the BBC ESL web site that teaches you different grammar points and also gives you a chance to practice.
- When you go to the web site, click on "Grammar Challenge".
3. ESL Lounge
- Improve your writing - learn grammar rules with clear explanations and examples
- Elementary: http://www.esl-lounge.com/student/grammar-guides/grammar-elementary.php
- Pre-Intermediate: http://www.esl-lounge.com/student/grammar-guides/grammar-pre-intermediate.php
- Intermediate: http://www.esl-lounge.com/student/grammar-guides/grammar-intermediate.php
- Advanced: http://www.esl-lounge.com/student/grammar-guides/grammar-advanced.php
4. Purdue OWL
- This is a great web site to learn about different styles of writing, such as academic essays and business writing.
5. English Grammar Online 4U
- This is a well organized web site that teaches you the rules & strategies of grammar & writing for ESL students.
- Under the 'Cram Up' section, click on "Grammar" and you can choose what you'd like to study.
- Each grammar section teaches you how to make it, when to use it & there are basic practice activities.
- Click on "Writing", and there are different lessons to choose from including general & business English activities.
- Each lesson has a short teaching point and examples.